All About Insuring Pop-up Campers and Motorhomes

All About Insuring Pop-up Campers and MotorhomesAuto insurance considerations don’t happen just once a year… you may have noticed summer is about upon us and you are probably planning some Arizona sunshine-filled adventures! Have you stopped to think about how insurance might be relevant to the tents, towable pop-up campers, or luxurious motorized vehicles that may be part and parcel with your plans? You’re ready to take in some fun, I know, but are you properly insured? The following include factors you might want to visit with me about before wandering into the great outdoors… all those beautiful Arizona vistas:

Tents or gear:

For example, did you know your car is covered under your auto insurance policy, but the policy typically doesn’t provide coverage for personal belongings? If your tent and/or camping gear is damaged in an accident, fire or storm, auto insurance won’t cover your losses. That said, we might want to make sure your summer essentials can be covered under your renters or homeowners insurance.


Were you aware motorhomes need to have the same minimum liability coverage required for any vehicle? It is not uncommon that risk of serious injury is greater due to a motorhome’s size. It is highly recommended you carry liability limits higher than Arizona’s state minimums. For physical damage to the motorhome, we’ll need to review your policy to make sure comprehensive and collision coverage applies to your motorhome, just like any of your other vehicles. Unlike standard auto policies, we want to place you with an insurer who will provide contents coverage on motorhome policies.

Towable pop-up campers:

What about a towable, you ask? The standard is that whenever you pull something with your vehicle, the vehicle’s liability coverage extends to the item you’re pulling. Since the risk of injury to others or property damage is higher if you’re pulling a camper, opt for the highest liability limits available.

* Note that this coverage is for liability only. Physical damage coverage isn’t extended from your vehicle’s policy to whatever you’re pulling. To cover damage to your pull-behind, we will need to make sure you add specific comprehensive and collision coverage.

Jan Vitale
Independent Insurance Agent
Proudly serving her clients and her industry for 30+ years